Sunday 7 April 2013

Handmade Monday: Kumihimo again

So, I've been playing with the Kumihimo disc again.  This time I thought I would have a go at seed beads, as I've never tried that before.  Some hours later, with my eyesight probably deteriorated considerably, and the air blue with my swearing at the cord and the beads, and after I'd managed to unstick the underside of my finger nail from the skin underneath, here's the result.

I now have 'total respect' for the seed beaders, as the young folk say!  It will be a long while, if not never, until I try this technique again.  The bracelet has some gaps where the little beads weren't placed properly, even though I really really tried my best!  Oh well, I always like a new experience.
 Decided to stick to the cords instead and made a couple on the drive up to see relatives over Easter weekend.  Hubby was at the wheel so there was no risk of accident.  The intention is to turn all these into tassel necklaces like this one...
 I love a long necklace, but often find that a chain irritates the back of my neck.  The cord is perfect as it's so soft and smooth, and I luuurve the cobalt blue with the antique bronze findings, it's my favourite colour combination (today!)  Front fastening toggles are easy to do when you're in a rush too.
The little glass flower beads are new.  Pretty, aren't they?

Here's a link to see what others have been doing this week for Handmade Monday. 

Alison x

19 comments:

  1. Alison, that bracelet is gorgeous. But I can see why you don't want to do it again for awhile. : )
    The cobalt blue necklace looks pretty too!
    Beata x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh that blue necklace is gorgeous - I too adore the colour :-) I am very impressed with you for persevering with the seed bead bracelet - they are a pain in the proverbial whenever I've tried to do anything with them!! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds painful! But worth the effort - it's a beautiful bracelet

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love the colour combination of the cobalt blue and antique bronze. Well done with the beaded bracelet. It looks fine from the photo but from your description I am not surprised that you don't want to do any more any time soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got loads of patience! I love the bracelet...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such gorgeous work! Love the colour combination too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blue cord necklace is lovely, and the glass flower beads are so pretty. Love the idea of it being front fastening too. The seed bead bracelet looks perfect to me. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The seed bracelet is a lovely colour combination as well as the cobalt blue and antique bronze, really pretty! I hate seed beads with a passion when I try to use them but love seeing them in other people's work :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The cords are lovely, I love the bright colours. The cobalt blue is lovely, it goes so well with the beautiful blue flowers.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bracelet is really lovely and the glass flower beads are gorgeous. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. poor you battling with those seed beads! The result is very lovely though :) i love the colourful chords too and that necklace is amazing! The front fastening clasp is definitely inspired (i always find that my hair gets caught in regular clasps) and those little blue flowers are sooooo beautiful! I really love the leaf charms too, the whole piece has the kind of flowing 'accidental beauty' that you find in nature.. gorgeous! x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow fabulous - you are so clever

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chrissy :-) Great to see you back on the blog - I've missed you. Hope you and Holly and the family are well. A x

      Delete
  13. The bead bracelet is lovely. Really like the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous :) I recently did a beaded project with 15/0 delicas and know exactly what you mean about the eyesight. I had to use my magnifying lamp to even distinguish one bead from another :)


    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  15. All that swearing was worth it, the bracelet is gorgeous. Love the little hanging flowers

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cords are great and match well with flowers. We are big fans of your work. Good luck with Kumihimo discs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the first bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the blue color bracelets and really it is the awesome bracelets with nice color combination.

    Deleon Richards Sheffield

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts here - the more, the merrier! I've had to enable word verification because of the amount of spam comments - sorry, I know it's a pain!

Related Posts with Thumbnails